Membership in Conversio Virium is open only to Columbia University students, faculty, staff and other affiliates. However, all are welcome to attend Conversio Virium’s public meetings free of charge, even if you’re not affiliated with Columbia University, so long as you feel that you can abide by our meeting rules.
To become a member, one must have attended at least three (3) meetings in the academic year, sign a membership statement, and receive a membership card.
Membership benefits and responsibilities
Membership in Conversio Virium has the following benefits:
- You may vote on all issues brought before the group by the Executive Board, and you may bring up issues to be voted upon.
- You may run for the offices of President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and chair or member of any special committees.
- You may attend all of CV’s special events at free or reduced rates.
- Carrying your membership card with you entitles you to discounts and other benefits at supporting organizations that hold BDSM-related meetings and events, and even at some stores and clubs.
- You can call yourself a “card-carrying pervert” and mean it!
With all these benefits come certain responsibilities. Conversio Virium membership also has the following responsibilities:
- Members must read and sign a membership statement.
- Your name and school affiliation will be reported to ABC and SGA. (Sorry, they require this for all University groups. All groups are required to have a minimum number of reported members in order to receive funding and stay recognized. Don’t worry; ABC and SGA respect our confidentiality.)
Official affiliations with Columbia University that qualify you for full membership include:
- Undergraduate enrollment in SEAS, CC, GS or BC with a current CUID.
- Columbia, Barnard, and Teacher’s College student enrollment with a current CUID.
- Staff and faculty of Columbia University with a current CUID.
- Alumnae status at any of the above schools (if you were a member while you still had a valid CUID).
To learn more about Conversio Virium in general and how we approach member confidentiality, read more about CV.